Re: Re:MIDI dynamics parsing error

From: Dominicus
Subject: Re: Re:MIDI dynamics parsing error
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 15:33:59 -0700 (MST)

Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote
>> I'm dealing with several of these MIDI errors during compilation of a
>> long
>> piece.
>> "programming error: Impossible or ambiguous (de)crescendo in MIDI."
>>
>> I tried to get rid of these by placing a starting volume, but alas, it's
>> not
>> that simple.
>
> The approach I use is to define some dynamics that don't print, and use
> them when necessary.

Indeed, I'm aware of this solution.  But v2.18 won't state which line or
measure is triggering the errors.

Since I'm cleaning up a long piece, finding which notes eliminate the errors
is non-trivial.  Trial/error search is very time-consuming due to compile
time and the hundreds of hairpins to review.  Since the issue relates to
starting volume, commenting out sections of the piece hoping to isolate to
fewer measures injects its own set of issues.

It would be a welcome enhancement to state either measure of line when
raising this error.  Has this been addressed in later versions?