Re: MIDI dynamics parsing error

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: MIDI dynamics parsing error
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 08:02:13 +0200

Dominicus <address@hidden> writes:

> Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote
>>> I'm dealing with several of these MIDI errors during compilation of a
>>> long
>>> piece.
>>> "programming error: Impossible or ambiguous (de)crescendo in MIDI."
>>>
>>> I tried to get rid of these by placing a starting volume, but alas, it's
>>> not
>>> that simple.
>>
>> The approach I use is to define some dynamics that don't print, and use
>> them when necessary.
>
> Indeed, I'm aware of this solution.  But v2.18 won't state which line or
> measure is triggering the errors.
>
> Since I'm cleaning up a long piece, finding which notes eliminate the errors
> is non-trivial.  Trial/error search is very time-consuming due to compile
> time and the hundreds of hairpins to review.  Since the issue relates to
> starting volume, commenting out sections of the piece hoping to isolate to
> fewer measures injects its own set of issues.
>
> It would be a welcome enhancement to state either measure of line when
> raising this error.  Has this been addressed in later versions?

-*- mode: compilation; default-directory: "/tmp/" -*-
Compilation started at Wed Oct 12 08:00:03

lilypond /tmp/ga.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.19.44
Processing `/tmp/ga.ly'
Parsing...
/tmp/ga.ly:1: warning: no \version statement found, please add

\version "2.19.44"

for future compatibility
Interpreting music...
/tmp/ga.ly:2:7: warning: (De)crescendo with unspecified starting volume in MIDI.
  { c1
      \< }
MIDI output to `ga.midi'...
Success: compilation successfully completed

Compilation finished at Wed Oct 12 08:00:04

--
David Kastrup