Spanner right-hand text may disappear when padded

From: Rutger Hofman
Subject: Spanner right-hand text may disappear when padded
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 13:53:41 +0200

Good afternoon list,

I have been noticing the following bug for a long time. If a TextSpanner bound-details.right.text is set, the text may disappear if it is right after a line break, and if it runs into some other markup-ish stuff. I am not sure whether this may also happen if bound-details.right.padding is *not* specified; but quite often, I need to pad the TextSpanner right to keep it at the same height as the following text. Try the attachment with right.padding = #0 to see what I mean: the right.text is pushed under the following markup.

This happens with the vanilla TextSpanner, and also with David Nalesnik's spanner-id TextSpanner.

A workaround can be found by inserting \breaks or \noBreaks, but that is an unappealing hack, and not maintenance-friendly.

Is there a 'good' workaround, or a 'good' way to let the TextSpanner behave in the way I want?

Rutger Hofman
Amsterdam