Re: Spanner right-hand text may disappear when padded

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Spanner right-hand text may disappear when padded
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 08:48:01 -0500

Harm,

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:

> in this thread
> http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Alternate-scheme-text-spanner-ignores-spacers-td195195.html
> you researched the cause for problems while attaching TextSpanner to
> spacers using custom-scheme-engravers.
>
> May it be possible the problem is present in the original .cc-coded as well?
>
> At least I don't see any problem with attached TextSpanners as soon as
> I change a spacer to a real note-event in Rutger's code:

It appears to be related to the X-position of the right-bound text:
if it's too far to the left, it won't be printed.

Change the right-padding override in your example to 10, and the text
will also disappear.

By the way, I read in Rutger's original snippet:

 % Need padding to keep at the same vertical position:

This appears to be a misunderstanding of what
bound-details.right.padding is.  It controls the X-position of the
spanner endpoint.  It's not a measure of the distance from the staff,
for which you'd need TextSpanner.padding, or
TextSpanner.staff-padding.

David