Re: Spanner right-hand text may disappear when padded

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Spanner right-hand text may disappear when padded
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 08:53:54 -0500

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:48 AM, David Nalesnik
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Harm,
>
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> in this thread
>> http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Alternate-scheme-text-spanner-ignores-spacers-td195195.html
>> you researched the cause for problems while attaching TextSpanner to
>> spacers using custom-scheme-engravers.
>>
>> May it be possible the problem is present in the original .cc-coded as well?
>>
>> At least I don't see any problem with attached TextSpanners as soon as
>> I change a spacer to a real note-event in Rutger's code:
>>

> It appears to be related to the X-position of the right-bound text:
> if it's too far to the left, it won't be printed.
>
> Change the right-padding override in your example to 10, and the text
> will also disappear.
>
> By the way, I read in Rutger's original snippet:
>
>  % Need padding to keep at the same vertical position:
>
> This appears to be a misunderstanding of what
> bound-details.right.padding is.  It controls the X-position of the
> spanner endpoint.  It's not a measure of the distance from the staff,
> for which you'd need TextSpanner.padding, or
> TextSpanner.staff-padding.

That being said, the following adjusted definition of spanners should do it:

spanners = {
    s2*7 |
    s4
        \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text = "(poco accel."
        \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.text = "poco rit.)"
        % moves endpoint LEFT
         \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.padding = 4
        % Need padding to keep at the same vertical position:
        \override TextSpanner.padding = #2
        <>\startTextSpan s4 |
    s2 |
    s4. <>\stopTextSpan s8 |