Re: Controlling hairpin length - revisited!

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Controlling hairpin length - revisited!
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 18:46:12 +0100

Thanks for this and other replies to my original query.  The routine
works well.

It does what it says on the can - moving the ends of the hairpin - and
that will be very useful.

But I realise that often what I need in order to get satisfactory
hairpins is more space between the note heads, and simply moving the
ends of the hairpin does not reposition the relevant notes.

One example is where I want a crescendo, mf and decrescendo on a single
minim (in a very slow tempo!)  I have tried using spacer rests, thus:

e8 cs ds d << { cs2 ~ cs4 d8( cs) } { s4\< s2\mf\> s4\p } >> |

but it doesn't give enough space for the crescendo hairpin.  Replacing
's4\<' with 's8\< s8' makes no noticeable difference.

As an experiment I have also tried using  '<>4\<' and 'r4\<' (thinking
perhaps I could then make the rests invisible), but neither of these
works.  '<>4\<' produces "two simultaneous span-dynamic events" errors
which I don't get with the spacer rests version, for reasons I can't
fathom; also the output shows mf followed by a crescendo for some
mysterious reason.  'r4\<' gives errors with trying to put rests and
note-heads on the same stem, and also strange unterminated tie errors.

What is the neatest method of simply moving the right-hand note further
to the right to give more space for the hairpins and the mf?
 Everything following the second note needs to be similarly displaced,
of course.

David