Re: Why warning: cannot end volta spanner?

From: Peter Toye
Subject: Re: Why warning: cannot end volta spanner?
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 18:35:47 +0100

David,

Thanks for the explanation. Seems like a buglet in LP, but not worth while worrying about. At least it's not giving me any serious problems, but warnings when I don't think I'm doing anything wrong worry me :)>

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:address@hidden
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------

Nalesnik> On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 3:41 AM, Peter Toye <
address@hidden>
address@hidden>
>> Date: Tuesday, October 11, 2016, 4:07:21 PM
>> Subject: Why warning: cannot end volta spanner?

>> ===8<==============Original message text===============
>> Simon,

>> Thanks  - that certainly does the trick. Though why there should be a
>> warning message there at all is still beyond me (see the title to this
>> thread!).

Nalesnik> The warning happens in lily/volta-engraver.cc, where there is a comment:

Nalesnik> /* fixme: be more verbose  */

Nalesnik> The warning is issued because the program expects to end the spanner
Nalesnik> either when the repeat element is over, or when a line break is
Nalesnik> encountered, as in your example.  Consequently, you can set
Nalesnik> voltaSpannerDuration to Mom 5/1 or Mom 13/1 in your example with no
Nalesnik> warning.  (With results identical to the default without the manual
Nalesnik> setting, of course.)

Nalesnik> I'm not sure of the point of the warning.  Why else would you set
Nalesnik> voltaSpannerDuration unless you want something out of the ordinary?

Nalesnik> In any case, the warning should be more descriptive.

Nalesnik> HTH,
Nalesnik> David