Re: Help required with tuplets

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Help required with tuplets
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 09:59:57 +0200

Bernhard Kleine <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 19.10.2016 um 08:23 schrieb Marc Hohl:
>> Am 19.10.2016 um 08:14 schrieb Bernhard Kleine:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I do not see what is wrong with the following extract which is
>>> compilable but totally wrong.
>>
>> I think you misunderstood the way \tuplet works:
>>
>> \tuplet 3/2 is the way to go, because you want *3* notes to last as
>> long as *2* notes normally do.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Marc
>>
> With all the examples in 4/4 measures and the tuplett spanning a halfs,
> there is ambiguity.

There is text in the manuals as well, not just pictures.

Tutorial:

File: lilypond-learning.info,  Node: Tuplets,  Next: Grace notes,  Prev:
Partial measure,  Up: Advanced rhythmic commands

Tuplets

Music Glossary: *note (music-glossary)note value::, *note
(music-glossary)triplet::.

   Tuplets are made with the ‘\tuplet’ keyword.  It takes two arguments:
a fraction and a piece of music.  The fraction is the number of tuplet
notes over the number of notes normally filling the same duration.  For
triplets, there are three notes instead of two, so triplets have 3/2 as
their fraction.

     \relative {
       \tuplet 3/2 { f''8 g a }
       \tuplet 3/2 { c8 r c }
       \tuplet 3/2 { f,8 g16[ a g a] }
       \tuplet 3/2 { d4 a8 }
     }

[image]

Manual:

File: lilypond-notation.info,  Node: Tuplets,  Next: Scaling durations,  Prev:
Durations,  Up: Writing rhythms

Tuplets

Tuplets are made from a music expression with the ‘\tuplet’ command,
multiplying the speed of the music expression by a fraction:

     \tuplet FRACTION { MUSIC }

The fraction’s numerator will be printed over or under the notes,
optionally with a bracket.  The most common tuplets are triplets
(3 notes sound within the duration normally allowed for 2).

     \relative {
       a'2 \tuplet 3/2 { b4 4 4 }
       c4 c \tuplet 3/2 { b4 a g }
     }

[image]

When entering long passages of tuplets, having to write a separate
‘\tuplet’ command for each group is inconvenient.  It is possible to
specify the duration of one tuplet group directly before the music in
order to have the tuplets grouped automatically:

     \relative {
       g'2 r8 \tuplet 3/2 8 { cis16 d e e f g g f e }
     }

[image]

--
David Kastrup