Re: Dorico release and tutorials

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Dorico release and tutorials
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 11:04:53 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 19.10.2016 um 09:53 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> as some of you may know today is the official release of Dorico, the
>>> notation program that has been written from scratch by the developer
>>> team that had developed Sibelius until they were fired and then re-hired
>>> by Steinberg.
>>>
>>> I haven't had the time to look into these but maybe the set of video
>>> tutorials available at
>>> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoyaeouPUsdu-A1Lq6sfXj01zwn_mVRAE
>>> is interesting for people on this list as well.
>> Well, two observations from skimping over the first movies: the keyboard
>> shortcuts are apparently focused on English keyboard layout.
>>
>> And those movies look a lot more interesting as inspiration to
>> developers of Denemo (and possibly less graphic input layers) than of
>> LilyPond: this is very much about how to talk with the graphical input
>> surface.
>>

> Well, it was not intended as material to digest for the LIlyPond
> developers, rather an opportunity to see what the competition does.

Well, the actual "competition" is about the typesetting quality.  It
will be interesting to compare "untweaked output".  The videos (at least
those I looked at) focus on user interface and its friendliness, and
that's really more the realm of Denemo, at most Frescobaldi (which could
conceivably use similar keyboard shortcuts).

It's not that LilyPond hasn't invested heavily into user friendliness as
well in the last years, but the "user interface" just is so different
that comparisons seems a bit strained.

The most important metric is probably "how fast are persons creating
output with what level of experience?".  And of course particularly for
beginners, the ability to read explanations and instructions as opposed
to the ability of quick experimentation are completely different.

--
David Kastrup