Re: Dorico release and tutorials

From: Pierre Perol-Schneider
Subject: Re: Dorico release and tutorials
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 12:12:19 +0200

I just watched the vids. One thing I appreciate is the pages layout possibilities.
It would be great if LP had something like:

\paper {
  %defaults settings:
  right-margin = 10
  left-margin = 10

  %specific page settings:
  \page #1 {
    right-margin = 20
    left-margin = 20
  }
  \page #2 {
    right-margin = 30
    left-margin = 30

Pierre

"Andrew Bernard" <address@hidden> writes:

> How do you watch these videos which induce sea sickness with the unstable
> camera? Is this supposed to be trendy film making, or just complete
> incompetence? What is Steinberg thinking? I cannot imagine a worse promotion
> for a product. They are unwatchable. Perhaps shot by a drone with the
> stabiliser system gone defective. It's simply bizarre. Does not exactly
> instil confidence in the product for me.
>
> Sorry David about the Anglocentric keyboard world they adopt.

It does not bother me in person: I am using a U.S. keyboard layout
anyway (my computing career started on ASCII terminals like the ADM3A,
and while I don't remember distinctly, I assume that the card punching
stations for the CDC had a U.S. keyboard as well), regardless on what is
printed on my keycaps (currently some sort of Scandinavian layout with
Æ, Ø and Å where German would have Ä Ö Ü in some order I think).

> Perhaps users should complain. And I thought Steinberg was a German
> company?

Germans are not that bad off I think: the keys in question looked like
they would be more or less the same.  LilyPond is probably more annoying
with its necessity for characters like [] {} which are a nuisance to
generate on German keyboards, possibly using AltGr and 7...0 if they do
it the same way as the Danish (?).

But the French need Shift for producing numerals, and their A is in the
top row and there are a number of other rearrangements as well.  That
already was seen as a drawback for the Wordstar keybindings in the 80s
(which relied on the arrangement of aesdxf and rc for cursor movement).

Since this is a frequent issue for renegotiations on the Emacs developer
list, it struck me as a detail that something like asdfg was used for
input.

And of course, they'll not enamour Dvorak keyboard users...

--
David Kastrup