Re: Dorico release and tutorials

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Dorico release and tutorials
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 09:47:01 -0400

Hi Gilles,

> Unforced breaks can depend on previous margin settings,
> possibly making the numbering wrong when the user reruns
> the compilation with different settings.

Of course that *can* happen… but it doesn’t have to. In all my scores, once the
layout is fixed, I no longer *ever* let Lilypond make layout choices: I turn
off auto-breaking and manually force-break all lines and pages, i.e., page
numbers in my scores never change [after that point].

>> Why “rather”? Why not “in addition to”?
>
> Because (I guess that) the former will not likely produce
> the expected output, particularly when there are many pages.
> Unless you mean that the typesetting should only rely on
> forced breaks.

No… I’m saying I don’t understand why there cannot be options — then users
(like me) who control breaks completely can do one thing, and those who don’t
can do another.

That’s one of my favourite philosophical features about Lilypond: it so often
allows the user to choose, offering many parameters for adjustment (with
reasonable defaults).

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer