Re: Problems installing Version 2.19.49 on Windows 10

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Problems installing Version 2.19.49 on Windows 10
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 09:01:34 -0500

On Thu 20 Oct 2016 at 11:28:08 (+0200), Pierre Perol-Schneider wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> Try this:

This doesn't seem very good advice to me.

> - go to C:\Program Files (x86)

... and mess around with installed program files? How does that
interact with your ability to use the "Add or remove programs"
facility if you've been juggling filenames?

> - rename the v2.18 LP file (e.g. ..\LilyPond 2.18.2)

... and that changes one instance of LP, without even explicitly
checking that what you're renaming *is* actually a 2.18.2 version
and not something else.

BTW Does your use of '..\LilyPond 2.18.2' mean that you want the OP
to move this executable into its parent directory, ie C:\ ?

> - run LP

Well, the OP says they typed 'lilypond -v' which means they're at the
mercy of their PATH as to which version of LP is found first, and run.

Better advice would be to use the Search facility to see just how many
LP programs there are on the system, where they are, and then execute
the desired one by giving its path:

C:\Users\Owner> path\to\lilypond -v

As it's possible and reasonable to install multiple versions of LP at
the same time, typing the path (or setting up aliased commands to do
that) is a good habit to get into.

Naturally, I don't know whether the OP is more challenged by LP's
installation process or the concept and implementation of PATH in
Windows (with which I'm not particularly familiar).

> > Hello:
> > I am having issues installing version 2.19.49 on Windows 10.
> > I repeated the installation twice and received the same results.
> > I followed these steps:
> >
> > 1.       Uninstall the previous version.
> >
> > 2.       Download lilypond-2.19.49-1.mingw.exe.
> >
> > 3.       Click lilypond-2.19.49-1.mingw.exe and follow the prompts.
> >
> > The installation process appears to operate normally. I don’t see any
> > errors during the process.
> >
> > 4.       Restart the computer.
> >
> > 5.       Open a command prompt and enter the following:
> >
> > C:\Users\Owner>lilypond -v
> >
> > GNU LilyPond 2.18.2 …
> >
> > Is it possible that the EXE is mislabeled or what am I doing incorrectly?

Cheers,
David.