Spanish terms for LH and RH

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Spanish terms for LH and RH
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 19:18:47 +1100

I am engraving the Soler Fandango, an 18c Spanish piece. the LH and RH indications in the MS I am working from are a little unclear. Given that mano izqueirda is left hand and mano derecha is right hand I would have expected to see I. and D., but the writer uses m. and D. Is this normal? I am not so familiar with the Spanish keyboard conventions of the period. What do Spanish composers use nowdays?

Andrew