Re: Spanish terms for LH and RH

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Spanish terms for LH and RH
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 16:46:50 +0200

I am engraving the Soler Fandango, an 18c Spanish piece. the LH and RH indications in the MS I am working from are a little unclear. Given that mano izqueirda is left hand and mano derecha is right hand I would have expected to see I. and D., but the writer uses m. and D. Is this normal? I am not so familiar with the Spanish keyboard conventions of the period. What do Spanish composers use nowdays?

I think the most used terms are m.d. for right hand and m.s. for left hand, and it is italian: mano destra, mano sinistra, if I'm not wrong. Spanish scores use them more than any Spanish terms, I think.

And if you want to put them in Spanish, they would be m.d. for right hand (mano derecha, which matches Italian, so there is no confussion here) and m.i. for left hand (mano izquierda). I vaguely remember to have seen those.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com