Re: No readline in scheme-sandbox

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: No readline in scheme-sandbox
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 11:27:41 +0200

>>> That would point to readline support being compiled in.  libreadline8
>>> would likely be the current one.
>>>
>>> At any rate, David stated that calling the lilypond executable with full
>>> path left him with working readline support.
>>>
>>> Does
>>>
>>>     which lilypond
>>>
>>> agree that the version called without explicit path is the same as with
>>> path?  If so, something in command line processing would appear to make
>>> use of the 0th argument for finding libraries.  That would warrant more
>>> examination.
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Kastrup
>>
>>     which lilypond
>> returns in my case:
>> /home/hermann/bin/lilypond
>> which is the script for 2.18.2 I mentioned in my previous post.
>
> David stated:
>
>     I find the following:
>
>     1)
>
>     If I run 'lilypond scheme-sandbox' I get a message saying:
>
>     /usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/ly/scheme-
>     sandbox.ly:3:2: error: GUILE signaled an error for the expression
>     beginning here
>     #
>      (load-user-init)
>     readline is not provided in this Guile installation
>
>     In 'top' I can see that the actual running command is
>     '/usr/local/lilypond/usr/bin/lilypond scheme-sandbox'.
>
>     2)
>
>     If I run '/usr/local/lilypond/usr/bin/lilypond scheme-sandbox' directly
>     from the command line, I get guile complete with readline.
>

> which sounds like he is _not_ running the wrapper script when stuff
> works but rather the executable without the wrapper.  So it would appear
> that what the wrapper does happens to interfere with finding the system
> readline library while LilyPond presumably does not provide one of its
> own.  Who is the main author of that wrapper?  Maybe he has an idea?
>
> --
> David Kastrup

The entire (unchanged) wrapper script reads:

#!/bin/sh
me=`basename $0`
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/hermann/lilypond/usr/lib"
exec "/home/hermann/lilypond/usr/bin/$me" "$@"

Commenting the line "export ..." works, though I can't imagine the consequences.
No idea who wrote the script, though.

Cheers,
  Harm