Pedal indication

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Pedal indication
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 10:58:03 +1100

Since I engrave twenty first century scores and not nineteenth century ones, it’s a limitation that one cannot change the hopelessly old fashioned Ped. indicator for pedal marking to a different, modern text of the style, font, and wording that one chooses. I am well aware that pianists perhaps expect to see the old fashioned Ped. mark, but I give them credit for being able to read newer marks as well.

How would one go about substituting something different there? Say “[ped]” just as a concrete example. I would like to be able to do this in the context of pedal spanner objects and not text spanner replacements for pedal, which I have tried and found unsatisfactory, as text spanners do not have the same semantics as pedals.

Andrew