Re: Configurable Rests

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Configurable Rests
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 06:29:53 -0400

Hi Werner,

> as you said, works only with 2.19. I will use the solution for a large
> project, so I have to work with a stable distribution.

Just to reiterate: I use 2.19 for all my work, large and small (e.g., my
current project is a 9-minute wind symphony for 36 players), and very rarely
run into any problems which are related to the "stable versus unstable”
question.

Far more often (read: almost always), the unstable version gives me features
and fixes that the stable version doesn’t have, but which I either need or
want. In particular, the partcombine mechanism (while admittedly nowhere near
perfect) is working wonderfully for me on this particular project, and I can’t
imagine engraving this score without the extra features in the unstable version.

This is not to try to pressure you one way or the other — you should make the
decision that makes you the most comfortable — but I did want to communicate my
experience, so that you can have more information with which to make your
decision.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer