Re: Augmentation dot positioning

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Augmentation dot positioning
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 11:26:04 +0000

On 10/26/16 3:28 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Su why is a symbol needed?  Symbols always require some secret lookup
>mechanism.  Why not just use a list here?  When the list needs to be
>calculated, it can be a callback, right?

That was my hope, but I couldn't make it work.

The reason I couldn't make it work is because the dot calculation (as
presently implemented) requires the properties of multiple grobs.  So I
couldn't do a callback on a single grob to make it work.  Instead, I
needed two arguments to my function.  Hence, the use of a symbol, which
is, I admit, a bit of a hack.

I haven't yet got the code in final form for doing a full code review, but
here is a patch from origin/master.

If you could give me some ideas about how this could be refactored or done
better, I'd be really grateful.  I'm not really happy with the way the
scheme functions get called, but I could't figure a better way to do it.

Thanks,

Carl