Re: polytempi in Lilypond - is it possible?

From: Bálint Laczkó
Subject: Re: polytempi in Lilypond - is it possible?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 14:11:24 +0200

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the fast reply!

"Essentially, you will have one "master staff" that stays true to time, everything else is scaled to fit." -- so I can change the spacing(?) of the staves individually in reference to an original spacing? So if staff1 is in default spacing, then can staff2 could be in spacing 1.2 (so the overall horizontal length of staff2 would be the length of staff1 times 1.2?) Would this also mean different barline positions and everything?

Meanwhile I thought about another solution: since the proportionalNotationDuration is only working in score context, what if I place every Staff in separate \scores and all with: \with {proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1/<somenumber>)} ? One of the examples in the documentation page about proportional notation throws this example, but the hard part is how to maintain the order of the scores after line breaks, and how to allow line breaks to happen inside bars too (thus keeping the exact overall space notation)? I mean ideally it would work like this: score1 line1, score2 line1, score3 line1, etc, and the in the next line: score1 line2, score2 line2, etc (so NOT score1 line1, score1 line2, etc, and then score2 line1, score2 line2, etc...). Any thought on that?
As for the practical side you brought up: of course it depends on the musical material, so yes in some cases it would need multiple conductors, in others just a bit more practise -- but I suggest that we focus on the LilyPond-side of the issue for now. :)

Thanks for the help!
Balint