Re: Question for a FLOSS licensing session

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Question for a FLOSS licensing session
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 15:50:42 +0100

Edward Ardzinski <address@hidden> writes:

> After reading these replies I may not be wiser...but it did occur to
> me that there might be a flaw in my thinking as I do the "programming"
> with Frescobaldi.  Does that have an impact on any of these issues?
> Would have been changed looking back to the "old days" when I used my
> own editor I wrote in Visual C++?

Inasmuch as you start some documents from a Frescobaldi template, there
is a bit of an issue.  However, Frescobaldi templates tend to be
"functional" programming in the legal sense (the most direct expression
with a given functionality without significant leeway for creativity)
and thus are pretty uncontentious anyway.  It does make sense to give an
explicit clarification for the licensing of the template material (does
Frescobaldi do that?) but any attempt to use restrictive licensing on
those skeletons would likely be counterproductive since it would not
encourage significant works licensed differently than intended and
copyright claims are not likely to hold up in court anyway.

--
David Kastrup