Re: Changing voice order...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Changing voice order...
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 17:11:30 +0100

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]

Nope.  What is now called \voiceTwo would be renamed to \voiceDown or
something of that kind.

> I am very much against that.  It would mean I would have to update a
> lot of music to make it usable.  I don't use concert-ly 'cos I find it
> a pain on Windows.
>
> Who uses four voices on one stave in vocal setting?

Using the current meanings of \voiceOne...\voiceFour, you'd get the
following assignments:

<< \voiceOne \\ \voiceTwo >>
<< \voiceOne \\ \voiceThree \\ \voiceTwo >>
<< \voiceOne \\ \voiceThree \\ \voiceFour \\ \voiceTwo >>

So the assignment of the \voiceXXX-like settings depends on the number
of \\ and you cannot deduce the settings before you actually know how
many \\ constructs are present.  For two voices, your main use case, the
behavior will be absolutely identical.

Now the Voice contexts are still going to be assigned sequentially as
"1"/"2", "1"/"2"/"3", "1"/"2"/"3"/"4" (nothing else makes sense really).
So in order not to cause confusion by having "1"/"2"/"3"/"4" correspond
to "One"/"Three"/"Four"/"Two", I want to rename the \voiceXXX constructs
as well.  The old ones will be available still but no longer promoted
and/or documented prominently, instead using something like \voiceUp,
\voiceDown, \inner \voiceUp, \inner \VoiceDown ...  Those names are
still accurate when more than two voices are involved while the relation
between name and behavior for \voiceTwo becomes tenuous as soon as more
than two voices are involved.

So your objections are to something different than what I propose.
I mean, it could perfectly well be that you still object.  I'd just like
you to object to the actual proposal when you do.  It gives me a better
picture.

--
David Kastrup