Re: Changing voice order...

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Changing voice order...
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 16:52:15 +0100

On 2016-11-03 16:32, David Wright wrote:
On Tue 01 Nov 2016 at 15:36:56 (-0000), Phil Holmes wrote:
I'm concerned by this.  I don't believe I have ever used more than 2
voices in choral music: typically the sops/tenors get voice one, and
the alto/basses get voice two.  If any of these is doubled (e.g.
sop1 and sop2) then they are shown as chorded notes, still in their
normal voice.  If it gets more complex than this, then current vocal
music almost always resorts to a stave per vocal group.  It looks to
me like the proposal would end up with voiceTwo having upstems.  I
am very much against that.  It would mean I would have to update a
lot of music to make it usable.  I don't use concert-ly 'cos I find
it a pain on Windows.

Who uses four voices on one stave in vocal setting?

Well, I thought, if anyone does, it'll be the Novello Book of Carols.
It's all so over-compressed. But I could only come up with what's
technically three, I suppose. (I only looked for fun.)

I have few four-voices-per-staff examples, but almost all could be written as chords. With chords, I know quite a few that go to four or even more vocal notes notated on a single staff. I guess simply because vocal music has to have lyrics assigned to it (well, exceptional contemporary pieces aside), and you only have so many options to put them (above and below the staff). If rhythms (and, hence, lyrics) diverge noticeably, I've always seen split staves.

One exceptional example are the final measures of Jan Sandström's "Det är en ros utsprungen", where the soprano splits up from two to four voices. The rhythms are coherent, and the notes are wholes, so everything looks like chords; still, it's notated as four voices because the legato slurs indicate which section is broken up, and which voice goes to which note in the next chord. No lyrics there, by the way, only humming.

Cheers,
Alexander