Re: Changing voice order...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Changing voice order...
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 22:35:57 +0100

Flaming Hakama by Elaine <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm not sure if this is a language problem, or an attitude problem.
> Because it seems like you are coming to the opposite interpretation of what
> I say, despite me being very detailed in my explanation.
>

> Let's start with the main point:
>
> THE VERTICAL ORDER OF NOTES ON THE PAGE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ORDER OF
> THE VOICES WITHIN THE << // // // >> CONSTRUCT, OR WHAT THE VOICE NAMES ARE
> CALLED
>
> Do you agree with that?  You should, since it is true.

No, I don't agree with it.  If you cannot distinguish "high correlation
though not 100%" from "no correlation", I don't see a point in
continuing.  The reason the various shifts and stem directions are
assigned in the manner and order they are is because this tends to
minimize collisions for the _customary_ note order within voice
stacking.  It's not arbitrary at all, so "nothing to do with" just is
plain wrong.

--
David Kastrup