Re: A tricky example -- polyMETER against polyRHYTHM

From: mclaren
Subject: Re: A tricky example -- polyMETER against polyRHYTHM
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 16:05:04 -0700 (MST)

N. Andrew Walsh mentioned:
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding mclaren's example, but the graphic he posted
> has
> a number of notational errors. To wit:

> in the third voice, if the meter is 11/8, then an 11:9 tuplet will not
> fill
> the bar, as it will only cover 9 eighth-notes. Perhaps he meant 9:11, in
> which case the meter needs to change to 9/8. Or the tuplet marking is
> superfluous.

No, that's what I want -- 8 eighth notes in one measure, then 9 eighth notes
in the next measure, then 8, then 9. This forces the notes in the third
staff to line up with the downbeats in each measure in the second staff, but
not with the downbeats in each measure in the first staff.

You're right of course that we could equally well notate this using separate
tempo streams, but conventional Western notation has no method for notating
multiple simultaneous metronome markings.
To be even more perverse, we could just as well notate e.g. a stream of half
notes against a stream of eighth notes by writing both as streams of eighth
notes and marking tempo mm = 120 on the stream of
eighth notes and tempo mm = 30 on the stream that's going to be heard as
half notes, but, really...that would be so obscure it seems cryptic.

I'm going to post an example where that multiple simultaneous tempi method
might be the only
solution. This next one, I'm at my wit's end on...