Re: Changing voice order...

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: Changing voice order...
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 16:45:30 -0700

>> > THE VERTICAL ORDER OF NOTES ON THE PAGE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ORDER
>> OF
>> > THE VOICES WITHIN THE << // // // >> CONSTRUCT, OR WHAT THE VOICE NAMES
>> ARE
>> > CALLED
>> >
>> > Do you agree with that?  You should, since it is true.
>>
>> No, I don't agree with it.
>

> Then you are being obstinate.
>
> A statement of fact, and you don't agree with it.

It's _only_ statements of fact that one can sensibly agree or disagree
with, so that's not particularly egregious.

Since you are clearly a bright fellow, I must conclude that you are intentionally acting like a jerk.

Why?

In what context are facts something that can be sensibly disagreed with?

> What are we to do with such childish behavior?
>
>> If you cannot distinguish "high correlation
>> though not 100%" from "no correlation", I don't see a point in
>> continuing.

There you have your answer to "what to do with such childish behavior".

If you think you can silence me, you will have no luck.

I'm trying to help the adoption of Lilypond to a broader audience by suggesting useful conventions.

The real answer to my question of what to do when confronted with childish behavior is that I am making my arguments to everyone on the list.  If my suggestions make sense, this will convince others, and they will in turn convince you.

I'm perfectly fine if no one else supports my suggestion and it is dropped.

However, I felt obligated to point out why the topic is difficult, and that is due to the confusion between the intention of vertical-order-in-the-staff and what the << // // // >> construct actually does (there is no relationship), and to suggest alternates that clarify the usage.

Until this confusion is cleared up, we will have such problems.

That is something that will not go away through willful ignorance.

Sincerely,

David Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "Confusion is highly underrated"
address@hidden

self-immolation.info
skype: flaming_hakama
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist