Re: compound time signature with non duple denominator

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: compound time signature with non duple denominator
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 22:05:41 -0500

On Thu 03 Nov 2016 at 19:50:05 (-0700), mclaren wrote:
> Well, the 3's indicate 3:2 broken tuplets. There seems to be some controversy
> over whether Tobin Chodos really wanted a single 3:2 eighth note at the end
> of every measure. If he does, then the 3's are correct.

Well, I don't perform music like this, so I wouldn't know if there's a
precedent for this notation. I'm just a guy with the temerity to try
and answer the OP's question using conventional notation rather than
something that looks strange.

Where might I find a reference on notation of this sort? Is is on the
web or are there special books?

> If he doesn't, then
> the question was unclear and we're answering something that wasn't asked.

Well, most of us concluded that the OP probably knew what notes should
be contained in each bar better than the appropriate time signature,
looking at the question posed which is how to define the time signature.

Cheers,
David.