Re: crop marks in PDF for printing

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: crop marks in PDF for printing
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2016 12:48:06 +0100

Il giorno ven 4 nov 2016 alle 11:56, Henning Hraban Ramm <address@hidden> ha scritto:
Am 2016-11-03 um 17:22 schrieb Federico Bruni <address@hidden>:

Tomorrow morning I need to print a book and I've just been asked to add "crop marks" (I think this is the right expression) to the final PDF. IIUC crop marks are not needed when printing with normal printers, but it's needed for serious digital and offset printing machines.

Hi Federico,

even if you could solve the problem, it should not have been necessary.

Crop marks are not needed for printing, but for cutting the final product, independent of the printing method.

I have a friend who works as graphic designer and he is taking care of the printing. He quickly explained to me that the printshop needs crop marks to cut the final product. If I've understood correctly, this cutting is needed when printing on special printers (which I've never seen).
He also said that the "imposition software" (?) needs these crops.

I guess your PDF pages are not bigger than those of your printed book and you don’t have any elements dangling ("bleeding") over the edge? Then there is no need for crop marks.

Yes, initially I sent an A4 PDF generated by LilyPond, but my friend said that it was not correct.
So I made a bigger PDF with crop marks and he said "Ok!".

Even if your PDF pages are bigger than the intended printed pages, you could easily define "trim box" and "bleed box" of the PDF. A printshop that cannot handle these nowadays is no serious business. But then they could do that for you, too.

(BTW I studied typesetter and printing engineer, worked in printshops for decades.)

Well, I know nothing about it :)

Thanks for sharing this information
Federico