Re: basic question regarding \drummode

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: basic question regarding \drummode
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2016 20:41:43 +0100

> Now here is another consideration: I wanted to use \drums here but it
> created another DrumStaff.
>
> It turns out that the shortcuts
>
>     \figures \chords \drums \lyrics
>
> all create a Bottom context _except_ for \drums.  Should we change \drums
> revert to creating a DrumVoice?

Why "revert"? Was it this way earlier?

> At the current point of time, only a
> DrumStaff accepts a DrumVoice so this should cause very little change.
> The only change to be feared is that
>
> \drums \with ... { }
>
> would apply the context mod to the DrumVoice, not the DrumStaff.  This
> will make it impossible to influence DrumStaff-level engravers with a
> context mod here.

Ofcourse true, though one could always use the verbose way
\new DrumStaff \with {  ... } \drummode ...

> However, it will allow to _override_ DrumVoice-level
> settings.  Overall, this might be a bit less confusing.  Our code base
> does not currently contain \drums \with .

So I'd vote for it.

Apropos Bottom-contexts.
In the following example the override is applied to a Voice, but a
visible change happens only in TabStaff.

Why?

mus =
<<
    { e'2 }
    \\
    { \once \override NoteColumn.X-offset = 1.5 c' }

<<
  \new Staff \mus
  \new TabStaff \mus

Not sure we should change this behaviour, I took it as feature ...

Cheers,
  Harm