Re: Defining new Scheme predicates

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Defining new Scheme predicates
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 11:07:45 +0100

Am 07.11.2016 um 11:03 schrieb Urs Liska:

> Am 07.11.2016 um 09:57 schrieb Richard Shann:

>>> Not at all!
>>>
>>> Just define your predicate with
>>>
>>> #(define (side? obj)
>>>   (if (or (eq? obj 'left)
>>>           (eq? obj 'right))
>>>       #t #f))
>> more succinctly
>>
>> #(define (side? obj)
>>    (or (eq? obj 'left)
>>        (eq? obj 'right)))
> No. This will return either 'left or 'right if successful. But a
> predicate is to return #t or #f.
> Urs

Oops, forget about that. I mixed that up with another case. eq? *will*
return #t or #f.

>>> and use it like any other procedure. The ? at the end is just a convention,
>>> predicates are nothing else
>>> than procedures taking one argument and returning #t or #f.
>> #t or any other value that is not #f - the value #t is rather rarely
>> used in conventional Scheme code; great use is made of the convenience
>> that all expressions are true except #f which is false.

But here my previouso comment applies. Predicates should return #t or #f.
Of course there are many valid and valuable use cases of the "non-false
expression" appraoch.

See also
https://scheme-book.ursliska.de/scheme/procedures/predicates.html and
https://scheme-book.ursliska.de/scheme/conditionals/if.html