Re: Mystery empty staves appear on score

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Mystery empty staves appear on score
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 12:33:18 +0100

Il giorno lun 7 nov 2016 alle 12:03, mclaren <address@hidden> ha scritto:
The Lilypond documentation is poorly organized and extremely incomplete. For exmaple, I was only only able to find out about tie direction control by glancing at an unrelated list of tweaks. Tie direction control \tieUp and \tieDown should be featured prominently in the Lilypond Learning Manual in
the section on ties.

Before jumping to that wrong conclusion I suggest that you check if you've done your work. I guess that you've not understood how manuals are organized and how to search in them, because it took me 10 seconds to find what you were looking for in this thread.

My suggestions:

1. The most complete manual is the Notation Reference, the place where you should expect to find all the information needed to produce the notation. The Learning Manual is only a gentle introduction to LilyPond; it's not supposed to contain all the information.

2. Start your search from the manual index:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/lilypond-index.html

If you search R and "rests" you'll get here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/writing-rests.html#rests

Scroll down the end of the chapter and you find:

Known issues and warnings

There is no fundamental limit to rest durations (both in terms of longest and shortest), but the number of glyphs is limited: there are rests from 128th to maxima (8× whole).

Pretty easy.
Same for \tieUp and \tieDown.

I've read lots of manuals and documentation and I've not found anything better than LilyPond's documentation. Other people in this list expressed the same opinion in the past.

Cheers
Federico (LilyPond user since 8 years)