Re: request for programming advice

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Re: request for programming advice
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 11:50:57 +0000

BB that is beautiful

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 at 11:47 bb <address@hidden> wrote:

May be that is what you lokk for?

http://www.vexflow.com/

http://www.vexflow.com/vextab/tutorial.html

Regards BB

On 07.11.2016 12:25, Chris Yate wrote:
On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 at 11:10 Gerard McConnell <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,
About 10 years ago I wrote some Java applets which allow a user to test their understanding of intervals (http://homepage.eircom.net/~gerfmcc/interval.html and triads (http://homepage.eircom.net/~gerfmcc/chords.html) and minor scales (http://homepage.eircom.net/~gerfmcc/pitchEtc2.html).  They work well, but it seems that Java applets are now no longer the best way to make programs available on web pages.  It seems that the HTML5 canvas is most common now.   I'm not an experienced programmer but I think the logic for generating the tests should be easy enough to transpose from java to _javascript_, however for display I'm wondering what a reasonably simple way to transform the note data into music notation is.  I used transparent .gifs for the original programs and shifted them into place, but I suspect that Lilypond or something similar would be better.   No doubt people here have worked on this sort of problem before, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help,
Gerard McConnell

Lilypond can render to PNG which would probably be good for this task. I don't think it's the right thing for dynamic music creation though.

I'm not quite sure what you are looking to do but if you wanted to create the music dynamically, I might render them in Lilypond, chop them into tiny bitmaps and then render them within the Canvas, using some custom positioning logic in _javascript_.

By the way... I hope you are aware that the _javascript_ language has almost nothing to do with Java?!  That said, I don't know how tricky your logic is.

Chris