Re: request for programming advice

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: request for programming advice
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 12:52:57 +0100

Am 07.11.2016 um 12:10 schrieb Gerard McConnell:
Hello,
About 10 years ago I wrote some Java applets which allow a user to test their understanding of intervals (http://homepage.eircom.net/~gerfmcc/interval.html and triads (http://homepage.eircom.net/~gerfmcc/chords.html) and minor scales (http://homepage.eircom.net/~gerfmcc/pitchEtc2.html).  They work well, but it seems that Java applets are now no longer the best way to make programs available on web pages.  It seems that the HTML5 canvas is most common now.   I'm not an experienced programmer but I think the logic for generating the tests should be easy enough to transpose from java to _javascript_, however for display I'm wondering what a reasonably simple way to transform the note data into music notation is.  I used transparent .gifs for the original programs and shifted them into place, but I suspect that Lilypond or something similar would be better.   No doubt people here have worked on this sort of problem before, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming you are actually interested in *dynamic* generation of music I would strongly suggest looking at Verovio (http://www.verovio.org). This is a _javascript_ toolkit for real-time in-browser rendering of music.

Right now I'm not sure which data format your program should generate, but rendering live data is definietly one of the use cases of this extraordinary tool.

HTH
Urs

Thanks for any help,
Gerard McConnell