Re: Notational conventions

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Notational conventions
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 15:53:32 +0100

> On 9 Nov 2016, at 15:39, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hans Åberg <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> In your video, I got the impression you had chosen a style with heavy
>> overlap on a trill there.
>
> Uh, the topic I talked about were appoggiatura.  You are quite correct
> about the heavy overlap on some trills but I am afraid that this is not
> deliberate but just bad technique: I'd rather have a clean, even
> non-legato execution there.
>
> Let's talk about this in a few years again.  Trilling on adjacent
> buttons on a chromatic button accordion turns out to be sort-of tricky
> since you cannot really employ the wrist.

I think it is the same on any keyboard instrument, taking a lot practise that
is. I have been using a Roland A-500 for a couple of years, and it is tricky as
well, even though the touch is very good.

> And the buttons, as opposed
> to piano keys, don't have significant bounce of their own for shaping
> the trill.

Relative a piano accordion, one should hold the hand ore from above and fingers
more curved.

> So it's really the fingers that must deliver.

The piano is weighted, which forces the use of the hand, wrist, and the arm, in
circulation at need. On a piano according that would not be needed, just using
the fingers.

> On a 5-row
> instrument, you can always adjust your fingering using the redundant
> help rows in order to be trilling on non-adjacent buttons, making it
> easier to have a nice pizzaz.  On my 4-row instrument, some trills
> require trilling on adjacent buttons, and this piece's voice
> distribution makes it hard to use anything but 3-4 fingering here.

I couldn't tell for buttons, but with full scale keyboard, is normally an
advantage with adjacent, or close together, keys. Also, one can switch fingers
during an ornament, but I do not know if it is done on accordions.

> So with regard to the execution of the trills, this recording is just a
> consequence of me being an incompetent player.  Sorry if you got
> confused into assigning more meaning to it.

Nice to come out of the closet. :-)