Re: Notational conventions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Notational conventions
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2016 18:16:39 +0100

Hans Åberg <address@hidden> writes:

>> On 9 Nov 2016, at 16:22, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hans Åberg <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I couldn't tell for buttons, but with full scale keyboard, is normally
>>> an advantage with adjacent, or close together, keys.
>>
>> We are talking about 7.5cm/octave here, so a horizontal escapement of
>> 0.625cm per semitone.  Since the notes are in staggered rows, the actual
>> distance is more like that of horizontally adjacent buttons, namely
>> 7.5cm/4 = 1.875cm but in a sort-of diagonal direction.
>
> That is about the same as on the computer keyboard that I used with my
> ChucK 2D layout program, which seemed to work fine with ornaments,
> perhaps not full speed, but a real music keyboard ought to do better,
>
> An accordion instruction book shows one should play buttons from
> above. Check what pros do. Fingering is individual, so if your fingers
> are thicker than normal, perhaps that does not work, and you will have
> to do something else.

No, that's just fine.  There is enough space for my fingers.  It's just
the act of trilling 3-4 on adjacent buttons in that direction requires a
dexterity that I haven't sufficiently developed.  I find it easier on
piano keys with their larger resilience and better ways to change the
relative finger position/distance due to the long piano key shape.  But
overall the payoff of the chromatic button system on a portable wind
keyboard is still a lot better.

--
David Kastrup