Re: Potential bug: Slur begins or ends with tenuto

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Potential bug: Slur begins or ends with tenuto
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 01:00:27 +0100

On 11.11.2016 23:54, Daniel Rosen wrote:
It appears that LilyPond is refusing to allow Slur.positions to be specified in
increments smaller than 0.5 staff spaces.

Indeed the positions property does not set staff positions directly at all. To understand, one has to know how LilyPond draws slurs in the first place: It tries out a number of candidates and the one with the best score (or rather the least demerit) is chosen – a heuristic algorithm[1][2]. Now, setting the positions property can only influence which of the candidates will be chosen. If there is no candidate matching your choice of positions, the closest one will be chosen. For finer control, you need \shape.

HTH, Simon

[1] This is explained in more depth in the LilyPond essay, I think.
[2] I think there is a way to have more candidates be created, but I don’t recall how, sorry.