Re: Alignment of instrument names

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Alignment of instrument names
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 09:29:54 -0500

Hello Francesco,

> how can I get instrument names at the start of staves
> automatically aligned to the internal page margin?
[…]
> In principle such alignment could be obtained enclosing the column of all the
> instrument names in a box, which in turn could be aligned to the printing
> margin, but I don’t have a clue on how to achieve this in LilyPond.

Here’s some code that David N. whipped up for me which, I believe, does what
you want. Note that it does NOT automatically set the indent — you need to do
this manually (by trial and error, essentially).

(David: I’ve cc’ed you here in case you have any improvements to add or things
to fix, based on recent improvements in the Lilypond codebase.)

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info