Re: Setting the number for \mark \default

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: Re: Setting the number for \mark \default
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 16:57:08 +0100

Dear Robin,

On 14 November 2016 at 15:58, Robin Bannister wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>

>> Is there a way to just set the counter without printing the mark
>> itself? (I would like to set the counter at the beginning of Coda and
>> then use \markDefault where appropriate just like everywhere else.)
>>
>> Documentation points to
>>     http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/rehearsalmark
>> but I don't see any obvious way to set the number.
>

> This links to 3.1.89 RehearsalMark which says:
>> RehearsalMark objects are created by: Mark_engraver.
> That links to 2.2.66 Mark_engraver which says:
>>  rehearsalMark (integer)  The last rehearsal mark printed.
>

> You can see an example regarding this in the regression tests.
> Searching for 'The mark may be set with' takes you to
>   rehearsal-mark-letter.ly
> which shows setting to #24 without triggering a \mark,
> the next \mark \default uses #25, producing 'Y'.

Thanks a lot for explanation. So
    \set Score.rehearsalMark = #4
it is.

Actually the page
"http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/bars"; already
says:

    "The value to use is stored in the property rehearsalMark."

but this wasn't enough of a hint for a beginner like me and I
eventually needed to run "locate rehearsal-mark-letter.ly" on my
computer and inspect the contents to arrive to the answer.

I would find it useful if the following example:

\relative c'' {
  c1 \mark \default
  c1 \mark \default
  c1 \mark #8
  c1 \mark \default
  c1 \mark \default
}

was extended to also include something like
   \set Score.rehearsalMark = #20
followed by another mark or two.

"An example is worth 1000 words :)"

Seeing that in the example would make it more obvious to me what I needed to do.

Thank you,
    Mojca