Re: Ties break the ability to add lyrics

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Ties break the ability to add lyrics
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 17:47:56 -0600

On Mon 14 Nov 2016 at 14:30:44 (+0100), Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 14 November 2016 at 13:31, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > While trying to add slightly more complex fingerings (button label +
> > finger number) on top of some scores, I'm facing a problem with ties
> > on the following structure:
> >
> >   << {f'2~} {s8 d'4.~} {s4 b4~} {s4. g8} >>
> >   <f b d' f'>4. <f f'>8 |
>
> I just realized that I could probably use the technique mentioned in
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to-lyrics
>     Polyphony with shared lyrics
> like
>     \new NullVoice = "aligner" \aligner
> but that will add yet another layer of complexity (or let's better
> call it "yet another repetition of the same thing and yet another
> option where things could go wrong") to the already annoyingly
> error-prone way of entering button names.
>
> (It would be really awesome if I could enter button names and finger
> numbers right next to the music itself.)

I too dislike the fact that NullVoice gives you another Voice to
maintain in sync with the voices it is (logically) associated with.

Wouldn't it be great if there were an "AutoVoice" which, given a list
of voices, would produce a NullVoice thingy to which one could set
lyrics, where the AutoVoice would contain a "lyric attachment moment"
at every moment in the collected voices.

In addition, the default lyric alignment would be set to CENTER unless
the next moment was slurred/tied in any voice to the present moment,
which would make it LEFT instead.

Apologies for the terminology which is likely incorrect.

Cheers,
David.