Getting a new computer

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Getting a new computer
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 13:24:24 +1100

Greetings,

My 2008 iMac is reaching the end of its useful life, and I would like to replace it with some kind of desktop computer that runs Debian. Given that a significant proportion of my time on this new computer will be compiling Lilypond files, I was wondering which specs I should be prioritizing.

I’ve included a large project if anyone with a newish computer would like to test their compilation time. The main file is MDSM.ly. It takes my computer between 4 and 5 minutes to compile.

Cheers,
Vaughan