Re: Solution to 7 over sqr(71) time against integer polyrhythms

From: mclaren
Subject: Re: Solution to 7 over sqr(71) time against integer polyrhythms
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 21:09:36 -0700 (MST)

"You do realize, don't you, that if you had just asked for help creating
that music, Kieren would have helped you and taught you some of his coding
skills (and he IS really good, BTW). "

Not likely. What I realize is that Kieren is good with photoshop.  I'll bet
he can show us an image of Ronald McDonald's inauguration as president too.

Nope, lilypond hangs permanently when you try to compile that example.
That's the reality. Lilypond is a little more flexible than Finale or
Sibelius, but like those programs, lilypond has limits. This example hits
'em. That's life.  Fortunately I can enter this kind of stuff using MIDI
sequencers, and in runs a lot longer than 7 or 8 notes. (One neat feature of
the MIDI sequencer I use is that you can set a starting tempo mm = X and an
ending tempo mm = Y and tell the program to continuously accelerate or
decelerate each note to fit all the notes into that acceleration curve. So
you can enter 200 notes and tell the program to start at mm = 20 and
continuously accelerate to mm = 150 and it'll do it for you without any
trouble. And that MIDI sequencer runs on DOS. LOL!) So, while it's not
possible to output a score or a MIDI file from lilypond for this kind of
thing, with photoshop you can get close enough that the difference doesn't
really matter. Approximating a score via photoshop takes more time than
working with lilypond would, of course, but then anything worth doing takes
time.  C'est la vie.