Re: Performance advice: Tied quavers in British (sacred) music

From: Michael Gerdau
Subject: Re: Performance advice: Tied quavers in British (sacred) music
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 23:31:30 +0100

Hi Alexander,

> especially the King's Singers et al. among you... ;-)

well...not qualifying but answering anyway ;-)

[longish explanation about how tied quavers are to be sung
 in british choral music snipped]

<disclaimer>
What follows is by no means authoritative but only what I picked up
during my choral singing.
</disclaimer>

I know both conventions (as far as I understood your explanation) and
I have sung both, under british church musicians and german ones
likewise.

It is my understanding that there is no such thing as a strict rule
as to how that is to be sung. To a certain extend it is a matter of
taste and at least in german music does depend on the context and
possibly even on the time that music was written (read: it is my
impression that this also had been more fashionable at times and
less so at other times).

In the end it IMO boils down to what you (or your conductor) likes
better.

The above is somewhat similar to the way singing Bach is different
from singing Mendelssohn (just to give an example).

Kind regards,
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: address@hidden