Re: grace notes ties

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: Re: grace notes ties
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 01:17:25 +0100

ahem.... I'm sorry I wrote tie but I meant slur... I always mix up these english term :(

Your code works. My mistake was closing the round brackets after the curly bracket...

b \afterGrace a ({ g16 b a }) g4 g

Why this is not correct? Doesn't look 'better' then ({ g16 b a)}? I'm joking but really, why my code is not acceptable?

Thank you, g.

On 17 November 2016 at 16:01, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Well,
>>>

>>> works just like that.  It just doesn't make any sense.  Are you sure you
>>> want a tie here?
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Kastrup
>>>

> I'm far from be sure but it is just what I found:) Anyway check the
> attached image (taken from Mary Cohen, Technique takes off, "14 Romance").
>
> And thank you for your code, it works perfectly.

The attached image most emphatically does _not_ use a tie but a slur.
There is a world of difference between the two: the _tie_ would mean to
_hold_ the a while you play g and b ending a smattering before the beat
and only then release the a after its tied part has ended.  It would be
very strange to write it like this, however.

A slur means to run notes into another.  A tie means to have only one
note in the first place (so you can only tie equal pitches).  A slur on
equal pitches, when executed on the piano, would usually be played with
alternating fingers with the second striking before the first has
completely left the key.  A tie just means to do nothing and hold the
note for the added duration of the tied notes.

So you probably wanted

and that still works without a hitch and is even simpler.  So where was
the actual problem?

--
David Kastrup