Re: Performance advice: Tied quavers in British (sacred) music

From: Graham King
Subject: Re: Performance advice: Tied quavers in British (sacred) music
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 11:05:38 +0000

On Thu, 2016-11-17 at 23:31 +0100, Michael Gerdau wrote:
<snip>
[longish explanation about how tied quavers are to be sung
 in british choral music snipped]

<snip>
It is my understanding that there is no such thing as a strict rule
as to how that is to be sung.
Agreed.  I'm English (through no fault of my own) and in forty+ years of singing I don't recall coming across a formal statement about this.  The practice might have arisen from the frustration of composers confronted with bad amateur choirs whose singers were careless about the placement of final consonants.  We've all heard the results: half a bar of sibilance when the word ends in "s" for example.  Conductors will often instruct choirs precisely where to place certain word-endings, having regard to ensemble, harmony, acoustics, etc., and often consciously amending the written score.