Re: Trolling and unacceptable behaviour on the list

From: David Linn
Subject: Re: Trolling and unacceptable behaviour on the list
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 16:15:54 +0000

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 3:15 AM Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> wrote:

As a list moderator, I would say that by now you should step in and intervene in this. Blacklisting the person in question does not help me personally as I still get all the replies and upsetting noise they are creating. I am aware that your policy appears to be one of complete non-intervention. But it strikes me as unfair that I have to unsubscribe to avoid the postings of this deliberately disruptive person. I am certain others feel this way.

I do not see myself as a list moderator - that task is now handled by others; I just try to make sure things keep working and to help people having trouble with subscribing, unsubscribing, and posting.

If directed to ban someone by LP (or GNU) project leadership, I can do so but I don't think I should do so unilaterally.  And, as someone else already mentioned, with open subscription, banning (blacklisting) is not very effective against a human being; a banned but motivated poster will simply start posting from some other address.