Re: Getting a new computer

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Getting a new computer
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 23:49:02 +0100

Michael Gerdau <address@hidden> writes:

>> I’ve included a large project if anyone with a newish computer would like
>> to test their compilation time. The main file is MDSM.ly. It takes my
>> computer between 4 and 5 minutes to compile.
>
> I've tested your files on both my windows machine and the Linux box with
> the broken font handling and both use about 54 seconds - the linux box
> being had been bought in early 2011 though while the windows machine is
> about 2 years old.
>
> What is found is that lines like
>
>   markup-system-spacing #'padding = #3
>
> created an error in 2.19.50. Changing this and similar lines to
>
>   markup-system-spacing.padding = #3
>
> cured that problem.
>

> I have then created a replacement statement to be added to a rule in
> convertrules.py to deal with that as follows:
>
>     str = re.sub (r"(\w+[-\w]*) +#'(\w+[-\w]*) +=", r"\1.\2 =", str)
>
> I don't know which lilypond version did change that syntax and I also
> have don't know how to add that to the official set of convert-ly
> rules.
>
> Any pointer appreciated.

You could cherry-pick the later reverted

commit 7f34e80b8d8bebfa4b1f3721a12718b04d7e02f4
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Sat Aug 16 23:24:21 2014 +0200

    Issue 4068: Add a convert-ly rule for xxx #'yyy #'zzz = -> xxx.yyy.zzz =

    Alist assignments can also use symbol list syntax as of issue 3748.
    So the examples for nested layout variable assignments should actually
    use those.

and start from there.  I think I considered this rule too sloppy to keep
it around permanently but then having nothing does not seem like a good
idea either.

So polishing this thing might be a good start.

--
David Kastrup