Photoscore

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: Photoscore
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 11:13:45 +0100

Hi List,

I've unfortunately run up against a suddenly very urgent deadline, that involves all the worst things about doing engraving work with Lily while trying to work with entrenched commercial interests.

Namely, I've spent the last year engraving a set of scores with Lily that look great, but for a project that was financed by a large commercial publisher that is dead-set on Sibelius. The financing depends on the publisher getting a .sib file, and the project lead just told me yesterday that I need to produce such a file in a week or two "or else."

I don't have Sibelius (I roll linux), but my partner does, so Urs and I have a sort of hacky solution that might work: I start with a blank sib file with all the voices and measures and meter changes, and then the individual voices of the score from the .ly file. The .sib file gets exported to a MusicXML file, as do the parts from the .ly file, and we're going to try to copy the latter into the former, hoping that we can re-import into Sibelius into something that only requires a reasonable amount of work to clean up and submit.

Problem is, MusicXML is turning out to be somewhat … sub-functional, so we're having difficulties.

However, my partner tells me that there's a commercial program called "Photoscore" that can take scanned scores and produce Sibelius files from them. But it's around $400, and (obviously) doesn't have a linux version.

My question for the list is: do any of you have this program? Does it work? If so, would you be willing to help me by scanning in the Lilypond scores I have? If we could get to a .sib file that even just *mostly* contains what it needs to, without all this import/export buggery, it would save huge amounts of time.

Please let me know asap if any of you do. Like I said, I'm under a deadline to get this done, and the alternative is a lot of time spent commuting to a computer lab off-site to re-enter everything manually. I'm *really* hoping one of you can spare me that fate.