Re: Horizontal note spacing

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Horizontal note spacing
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 10:15:15 -0700 (MST)

Hey, Andrew!

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 8:54 PM, Andrew Bernard [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have tried setting new spacing sections every which way with no success. I think it is the dodecaphonic accidental style combined with the cross staff kneed beaming that causes the difficulty. Unless I just don’t understand how to use them. Plus I think this is muddied by the overall score proportional spacing settings, but I am really not sure how they interact with new spacing sections. But I have not thought of your suggestion. What settings of the SpacingSpanner grob would be in play here?

I have to apologize. I was going off of memory and (sigh) remembered wrong. I meant to point you at the NoteSpacing grob (http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/notespacing). This grob controls the optical corrections that are applied in situations like kneed beams, opposing stems, etc. I don't have a good answer for your search, but you might be able to tailor those properties to your needs by either increasing or decreasing their values (and in case you're wondering, setting the numeric ones to zero and the boolean one to #f makes the output even worse, so the values should probably be increased, if anything).

And something I have wanted to ask just forever – what is this springs and rods business? The IR is rather terse, as is its wont.

I can't tell you the details (because I don't fully understand how they are implemented, but "springs and rods" refers to how LilyPond spaces things. Certain dimensions behave more like a spring and can expand or contract (like the space between notes or between staves). Others are relatively fixed in length like a inextensible rod (e.g., the space before/after barlines, accidentals, etc.). Does that make more sense, at least what it's means in theory? Sorry I can't be of more help than that.

Best,
Abraham