Re: LSR - file information [0.24759]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LSR - file information [0.24759]
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:14:59 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> I tracked it down to a guile problem.
>
> I stored in a file called filename_名字.scm nothing else then:
>
> ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
>
> (newline)
> (write (command-line))
>
> (newline)
> (write (map string->symbol (command-line)))
>
> ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
>
> Navigated to the folder and did:
>
> guile-1.8 filename_名字.scm
> -->
> ("filename_�\x90\x8d字.scm")
> (filename_名字.scm)
>
> No clue what guile-1.8 does here. The symbol is correct, he string weird.
>
> guile2 can't even find the file:

The correct behavior is to interpret the command line in terms of the
current locale.  So what is your current locale?

File names are a tricky area in itself.  I think that there is some
normalization process involved in some systems that tries to make sure
that something like an ä will be recognized regardless of whether it is
written as a single character with umlaut or a combining diacritic with
letter a.

I am not sure, but I think Linux does not even try at least on its
native file systems.  No idea how this would work with Windows.

--
David Kastrup