Re: Photoscore

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Re: Photoscore
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 13:50:50 +0000

On 29 Nov 2016 13:40, "Karlin High" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 11/28/2016 12:22 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
> > I thought the Windows EULA protested against being subjected to a VM?
>
> Buy a Windows full-version retail license for the virtual machine and
> you should be good to go.
>
> Windows 10 EULA (2)(d)(iv):
> *Use in a virtualized environment.* This license allows you to install
> only one instance of the software for use on one device, whether that
> device is physical or virtual. If you want to use the software on more
> than one virtual device, you must obtain a separate license for each
> instance.
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm
>
> And here's VMWare's take:
> https://pubs.vmware.com/fusion-4/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.fusion.help.doc%2FGUID-50FC0AF1-AA0A-486D-89AB-4FA4C1CAA56C.html
> --
> Karlin High
> Missouri, USA

Of course there's nothing unreasonable about this; after all it is commercial software, and most vendors wouldn't allow you unrestricted copies.

Anyway, I think their licensing situation with regard to virtual machines was changed some time ago. After all, with the cloud-hosted architecture now the number of OS instances running "virtually" rather than on the bare metal might be approaching a very large fraction...