Re: New LilyPond website

From: Erik Ronström
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 15:29:57 +0100

Hi,

While the new site may give a ”nicer” or more ”friendly” impression (depending
on taste), I actually found it much harder to use, especially on a laptop
screen where vertical space is limited: scrolling is needed for almost every
action. While the old site may not be the most beautiful (although I have seen
worse!), it is very functional, with good overview and almost all resources
available with a single click from the first screen, without any scrolling.

So as a Lilypond user, I certainly prefer the old design, as function is far
more important to me than design. But perhaps non-Lilypond users stumbling on
the site are discouraged by the somewhat old-fashioned look? (OTOH, as someone
pointed out, potential Lilypond users are probably already more or less deep
into music typesetting, and hopefully would have a more deep perspective than
just being deterred by the general website design).

Would it thus make sense to have a public-facing ”front-page”, with the current
(more ”traditional”) webpage easily accessible for those who are already using
Lilypond?

(I’m actually not convinced myself that this is a good idea, I just wanted to
raise the question)

Erik